Saturday 15 August 2015

Wairau Intermediate Monday 10th August

On a bright but damp Monday the 10th August, a brave Forrest Hill School Year 6 community, led the charge to Wairau Intermediate. I was striding along from the bus to the main gates, not knowing what to expect, but finally having a chance to compare between schools after an intense visit to Murrays Bay Intermediate last week.

After what seemed like a family reunion with my fellow friends who graduated last year onto Wairau, I found I was in Group 3 for the day.  From a possible 5 activities, our schedule was Music, Food Tech and finally Hard tech.  I had the feeling that Hard tech would be my favourite activity and I wasn't wrong!

Entering the hard tech room was like walking into an old style garage with 4 brown, paint splattered tables crowding the room. Each table housed a strange blue mechanism that I was yet to find out what it was used for. Despite that, the thing that intrigued me the most was the wall of what seemed like tools of every shape, size and colour. The wall never seemed to end!

Getting to work, I started creating a dog tag. I used the strange mechanism to hold my dog tag while I smoothed off the edges with a rasp, and found out it was called a vice grip. By using a hammer and a brad with a raised letter on the end, I indented my metal tag resulting in the message saying, "Soccer is everything" Myself being soccer mad, wow what a perfect message!

Thanks Mr Murray and Wairau Intermediate tech staff, I had an amazing eye opening visit. Looks like you will be seeing me next year!

By Ella Dorward
 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. They let you lot lose on the bandsaw! Looks like fun to me...

    ReplyDelete